The purpose of this fund
TG4 and the Arts Council/an Chomhairle Ealaíon, in association with Galway Film Centre, are delighted to announce a new round of ‘ilDÁNA’. This is an exciting new opportunity for documentary film-makers to make a once-off, landmark and cinematic long-form documentary on the arts in Irish. Two projects will be selected with funding of €80,000 each for creative documentaries which will have both a theatrical window as well as a primetime TG4 broadcast. The deadline for applications is 20 October. Film-makers are encouraged to be explore subject matter and approaches that are creative, inspired, distinctive and ambitious in scope to deliver a 60 to 70 minute film.
Films commissioned for ‘ilDÁNA’ will provide a definitive creative treatment of their arts subject. All artistic disciplines will be considered. Contemporary subjects are preferred but contemporary treatments of historical works may also be considered. Two films will be funded with a budget of up to €80,000 each in the first season of the scheme. Both will launch with a dedicated cinema screening and will have a theatrical window before broadcast to a primetime TG4 audience in 2018.
Galway Film Centre will administer the commissioning of the ‘ilDÁNA’ films and TG4’s ‘Terms of Trade’ will apply. Representatives from TG4, the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon and Galway Film Centre will select the projects for ‘ilDÁNA’.
Applications must be made to Galway Film Centre no later than 17:00 on 20 October 2017. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. Submissions, by email only, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Film duration: 50-70 minutes
- Production Budget: Up to €80,000 per film
- Format: HD with English subtitles
- Language: Irish or bilingual.
Applications for ilDÁNA must include the following:
- A completed ilDÁNA commissioning form
- A detailed treatment of the proposal
- A description of the intended creative approach
- An audience strategy that identifies the film’s national TV audience plus any plan for theatrical exhibition (film festival/cinema) if applicable
- A detailed production budget and budget summary (including music and subject clearances, deliverables and marketing materials)
- CVs of the creative team involved in the proposal including director, producer, writer, editor
- Evidence of ownership to include copies of all option and writers agreements entered into in respect of story and script, if applicable to the project
- Written confirmation in the form of clearances and permissions of key subject’s willingness to participate, where applicable
- Three excerpts of the director’s work (not show reel) that inform the proposal
- Any other relevant supporting materials that inform the creative approach to the proposal
TG4 and the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon encourage the employment of film practitioners working through the Irish language and require the provision of equitable conditions and fair remuneration for artists involved in the making of the ‘ilDÁNA’ films.
‘ilDÁNA’ films will be selected on the basis of:
- the track record of the applicant
- the artistic vision of the applicant and his/her creative approach to the proposed subject
- the feasibility of the proposal
Additional funding (up to €5K per successful project) may be made available to support theatrical exhibition where a convincing audience strategy is proposed.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposal in early November. The award for the series will be made by TG4 and standard commissioning terms will apply to the production agreement.
It is expected that projects will be completed and available for broadcast on TG4 in 2018. Applicants must comply with all relevant statutory obligations. All contracts will depend on Tax Clearance Certificate from the Revenue Commissioners. FOI: Candidates are informed that the information provided may be disclosed to the public under the Freedom of Information Act. There is no agreement – or any other type of contract – until a formal contract is written by or on behalf of TG4.