The purpose of this fund
TG4 and the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon, in association with Galway Film Centre, are delighted to announce the launch of ‘ilDÁNA’.
ilDÁNA is designed to support the production of landmark creative documentary films on the arts in Irish. ilDÁNA will provide film-makers with an opportunity to make distinctive ambitious works to enrich the TG4 primetime programme schedule and have a national impact with audiences.
Films commissioned for ilDÁNA will provide a definitive creative treatment of their arts subject. All artistic disciplines will be considered. Contemporary subjects are preferred but contemporary treatments of historical works may also be considered. Two films will be funded with a budget of up to €80,000 each in the first season of the scheme. Both will launch with a dedicated cinema screening and will have a theatrical window before broadcast to a primetime TG4 audience in Spring 2018.
Galway Film Centre will administer the commissioning of the ilDÁNA films and TG4’s ‘Terms of Trade’ will apply. Representatives from TG4, the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon and Galway Film Centre will select the projects for ilDÁNA.
Applications must be made to Galway Film Centre no later than 17:00 on 10 March 2017. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. Submissions, by email only, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Film duration: 50-70 minutes
- Production Budget: Up to €80,000 per film
- Format: HD with English subtitles
- Language: Irish or bilingual.
Applications for ilDÁNA must include the following:
- A completed ilDÁNA commissioning form – download here for .Doc or PDF files
- A detailed treatment of the proposal
- A description of the intended creative approach
- An audience strategy that identifies the film’s national TV audience plus any plan for theatrical exhibition (film festival/cinema) if applicable
- A detailed production budget and budget summary (including music and subject clearances, deliverables and marketing materials) – download file here
- CVs of the creative team involved in the proposal including director, producer, writer, editor
- Evidence of ownership to include copies of all option and writers agreements entered into in respect of story and script, if applicable to the project
- Written confirmation in the form of clearances and permissions of key subject’s willingness to participate, where applicable
- Three excerpts of the director’s work (not show reel) that inform the proposal
- Any other relevant supporting materials that inform the creative approach to the proposal
The deadline for receipt of submissions is 5pm, Friday, 10 March 2017.
TG4 and the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon encourage the employment of film practitioners working through the Irish language and require the provision of equitable conditions and fair remuneration for artists involved in the making of the ‘ilDÁNA’ films.
‘ilDÁNA’ films will be selected on the basis of:
- the track record of the applicant
- the artistic vision of the applicant and his/her creative approach to the proposed subject
- the feasibility of the proposal
Additional funding (up to €5K per successful project) may be made available to support theatrical exhibition where a convincing audience strategy is proposed.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposal during the week of 27 March. The award for the series will be made by TG4 and standard commissioning terms will apply to the production agreement.
It is expected that projects will be completed and available for broadcast on TG4 in Spring 2018.