Into the Light: The Arts Council - 60 Years of Supporting the Arts is a major series of exhibitions celebrating 60 years of support for artists and the visual arts by the Arts Council. The event is a partnership between the Arts Council and four prominent Irish art galleries.
A book has also been produced as part of Into the Light. This includes over one hundred of the works selected for exhibition as full-colour illustrations, in addition to essays and a timeline exploring the visual arts and arts policy in Ireland over the past 60 years. The book is available for sale at the hosting venues.
The exhibitions include over 150 works from the Arts Council collection. Many of the works have been recalled from loan locations across the country and will be on display at the four locations listed below.
Admission is free for all four locations.
There are café facilities at each venue and you can find details of public programmes here.
Crawford Art Gallery, Cork
Into the Light at Crawford Art Gallery has been curated by Dawn Williams. The exhibition focuses on lens-based and installation work acquired by the Arts Council during the 2000s. The artist, Mark Clare, has been commissioned to produce new work in response to the exhibition.
- Website: http://www.crawfordartgallery.ie/
- Exhibition dates: 4 December 2012–23 February 2013
- Opening hours: Monday to Wednesday, Friday to Saturday: 10:00-17:00; Thursday: 10:00-20:00; Closed Sundays.
- Online exhibition: Click here to preview the works on display at the Crawford Art Gallery.
Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane
Into the Light at the Hugh Lane has been curated by Michael Dempsey. The exhibition explores approaches to abstraction in modern and contemporary art. It considers the physical space of the gallery as an extension of the abstract picture plane, and the way in which the architecture and ethos of art institutions influence the viewer’s experience of the work. The artist, Karl Burke, has been commissioned to produce new work in dialogue with the curator.
- Website: http://www.hughlane.ie/
- Exhibtion dates: 28 November 2012-24 February 2013
- Opening hours: Tuesday to Thursday: 10.00am-6.00pm
Friday & Saturday: 10.00am-5.00pm; Sunday: 11.00am-5.00pm
- Online exhibition: Click here to preview the works on display at The Hugh Lane.
Limerick City Gallery of Art
Into the Light at Limerick City Gallery of Art has been selected by Baz Burke, Anne Horrigan, John Logan, Paul Tarpey and Helen Carey. The exhibition includes painting and sculpture acquired by the Arts Council during the 1960s and 1970s. The artist, Emmet Kierans, has been commissioned to produce new work in response to the exhibition.
- Website: http://gallery.limerick.ie/
- Exhibtion dates: 30 November 2012—18 January 2013
- Opening hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 10.00am-5.30pm Tuesday: 11.00am-5.30pm; Thursday:10.00am-8.30pm; Saturday: 10.00pm-5.00pm; Sunday: 12.00pm-5.00pm. Closed Bank Holidays.
- Online exhibition: Click here to preview the work on display at the Limerick City Gallery of Art.
The Model, Sligo
Into the Light at The Model has been curated by Emer McGarry. The exhibition presents works from the Arts Council Collection and the Niland Collection which explore themes including landscape, domesticity and craft. The artist, Sean Lynch, has been commissioned to produce new work in response to the exhibition.
- Website: http://themodel.ie/
- Exhbition dates: 7 December 2012-24 March 2013
- Opening hours: Tuesday-Saturday: 10am-5:30pm; Sunday: 12-5pm; Closed: Mondays.
- Online exhibition: Click here to preview the works on display at the The Model, Sligo.