The Arts Council and the Irish Film Board today announced the second round of the Cinema Digitisation Scheme. The scheme is a joint initiative of the Arts Council and the Irish Film Board, and is funded by the Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport.
The scheme is designed to ensure that:
- Irish audiences in all parts of the country have access to a range and choice of cinema programming that is more diverse than the commercial ‘mainstream’; and
- Irish cinema operators offering ‘non-mainstream’ programming have an opportunity to install digital projection equipment at a cost that is compatible with their turnover and operating costs.
Under the scheme capital funding towards the cost of purchasing and installing digital projection equipment will be made available to cinema operators:
- who can demonstrate that the installation of digital projection equipment will enable them to avail of the cultural and audience development opportunities afforded by new technology; and
- who undertake, maintain or increase a commitment to offering a diverse programme of films on a year-round basis.
The Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport has agreed to make funding of up to €500,000 available for the scheme which is being managed by the Arts Council and the Irish Film Board. Two types of capital grant funding will be offered: Major Capital Support - Digital Projection 2K DCI Standard (maximum grant per installation: €75,000) and Minor Capital Support - Digital Projection less than 2K (maximum grant per installation: €25,000).
The purpose of the scheme is to help to build and support a national circuit of digitally-enabled arthouse cinema screens in a variety of venues throughout Ireland. The Arts Council and the Irish Film Board also wish to encourage partnerships between cinema operators, local authorities, venues, film clubs/societies and film festivals in order to best provide for film audiences in their area.
The deadline for receipt of applications for the Cinema Digitisation Scheme is 5pm on Friday, 1 October.
- For further information, please contact Fionnuala Sweeney at the Arts Council on +353 1 618 0264 or Teresa McGrane at the Irish Film Board on +353 91 561398.
- Guidelines for the scheme and an application form can be found here.