The Arts Council has expressed its deep regret at the passing of sculpture and Aosdána member Edward Delaney.
Speaking today, Mary Cloake, Director of the Arts Council said: "He was an outstanding sculptor, a pioneer in situating work in the public domain. He was well respected by the arts community, someone whose record in delivery was always uncompromising. He articulated public sensibilities through his work which stands testimony in the public sphere to this day. His works are passed by many in daily life - whether Dame Street, St. Stephen's Green, Dun Laoghaire and further afield. He will be greatly missed and we offer our condolences to his family and friends."
Born in 1930 in Co. Mayo, he studied at the National College of Art & Design in Dublin then travelled to Munich, Bonn and Rome after being awarded fellowships and scholarships by the West German and Italian governments. He represented Ireland at the Paris Biennale in 1959 and 1961, and has shown sculptures in Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Budapest. He won the Arts Council prize for sculpture (1962), its scholarship for sculpture and bronze casting (1964), and the RHA Award for Sculpture of Distinction in Bronze (1991).
His public commissions for the Irish government include a famine memorial and a statue of Wolfe Tone on St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, both from 1967, and a statue and memorial to Thomas Davis on College Green. He created a cross and figure of Christ crucified, as well as bronze plates decorating the baptismal font, for St. Michael the Archangel church in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway. The open-air sculpture park in Carraroe, Co. Galway features a large body of his work.